Thursday, April 29, 2010

Capitol Hill

On Wednesday, our 3rd day in DC, I got the chance to meet with two of Vermont's congressmen, Sen. Patrick Leahy and Rep. Peter Welch. I wanted to speak to both of them about their thoughts on the re-authorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and give them some of my opinions on the positives and weaknesses of the administration's blueprint.

I won't go into the detail right now, but it was a good meeting with both congressmen. I feel like Sen. Leahy and Rep. Welch heard what I was saying and were going to take my comments with them when they speak with Sec. of Education Arne Duncan about the re-authorization and onto the floor when they vote.

The fact that our elected officials were willing to take time out of their busy schedules -- financial reform, immigration, etc. -- to meet with me and discuss education reform was a huge positive. They not only wanted to hear what I had to say, but they seemed to value what I had to say and were going to take action on it. It was a great feeling to be an active participant in our representative democracy.

In the evening, we had a gala dinner event which was phenomenal! We heard from a number of the key sponsors and were formally announced the 2010 National Teacher of the Year, Sarah Brown-Wessling from Iowa. Congrats Sarah! Sarah is am amazing person and educator, and will be such a strong and powerful advocate and voice for education and teachers throughout the country over the next year. We as teachers have an amazing representative in her. Sec. of Education Arne Duncan also spoke at the event, and we will get to speak to him more at the Dept. of Education on Thursday before we go to the White House.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment